Sabtu, 03 April 2010

Contractions (Singkatan) “to be” simple present (am, is, are)

1. Singkatan (am, is, are)
Banyak kata kerja memiliki bentuk-bentuk singkat yang khususnya digunakan dalam bahasa Inggris lisan. Contoh: “I’m happy today”. Bentuk-bentuk singkat dari kata kerja “to be” adalah sebagai berikut.

Tunggal
I am = I’m
You are = You’re
He is = He’s
She is = She’s
It is = It’s
Jamak
We are = We’re
You are= You’re
They are = They’re

Perhatikan agar tidak mencampuradukkan it’s dengan its. It’s berarti “it is”, sedangkan its adalah bentuk kepunyaan yang akan dipelajari pada unit selanjutnya.
2. Singkatan negatif (am, is, are)
Ada dua bentuk singkat utama untuk bentuk negatif dari kata kerja “to be”: “You are” menjadi “You’re not” atau “you aren’t”. Sebagai contoh:
- She is not happy = She isn’t happy = She’s not happy.
- We are not singers = We aren’t singers = We’re not singers.
Bentuk-bentuk singkat dari “to be” negatif adalah sebagai berikut:

Tunggal
I am not = I’m not = I amn’t*
You are not = You’re not = You aren’t
He is not = He’s not = He isn’t
She is not = She’s not = She isn’t
It is not = It’s not = It isn’t
Jamak
We are = We’re not = We aren’t
You are= You’re not = You aren’t
They are = They’re not = They aren’t
* Singkatan negatif “I am”
Kita bisa mengatakan “I am not”, dan kita juga bisa mengatakan “I’m not”, tetapi kita tidak bisa mengatakan “I amn’t”.
3. Singkatan negatif (do dan does)
Bentuk negatif simple present (do/does) dapat disingkat dengan dua cara: “do not” menjadi “don’t” dan “does not” menjadi “doesn’t”. Contoh:
- I do not like pizza = I don’t like pizza.
- He does not drive a car = He doesn’t drive a car.
Berikut rangkuman singkatan simple present (do/does)
Tunggal
I do not = I don’t
You do not = You don’t
He does not = He doesn’t
She does not = She doesn’t
It does not = It doesn’t
Jamak
We do not = We don’t
You do not = You don’t
They do not = They don’t
Contoh penggunaan dalam percakapan
1) I am hungry.
Me too, I’m really hungry! Let’s get some food!
2) They are doctors.
No they’re not, they’re teachers.
Oh, you’re right!
3) Hi Sylvia, how’s it going?
Oh, I’m OK, but I’m so tired. I don’t want to study.
Me too, these days we’re very busy. Let’s study tomorrow. I want to go to the movies!
Oh, I don’t want to miss class. Let’s study!
You’re right, let’s go to class. Then we aren’t busy, we’re free!
That’s great!
Kosa kata baru:
hungry = lapar
let’s = mari kita
get = mendapat
some = beberapa
food = makanan
doctor = dokter
right = benar
OK = baik
so = begitu
tired= lelah
want = ingin
study = belajar
too = juga
these days = akhir-akhir ini
tomorrow = besok
miss = ketinggalan/terlambat
class = kelas
busy = sibuk
free = bebas
(Tautan-tautan berikut akan membuka jendela baru dan menuju ke website lain)
Rujukan:
http://www.1-language.com/englishcourse/index.htm

0 comments: